In 1939, the Remington Arms Co. at Bridgeport, Ct. decided to sell its cutlery
division and put their equipment up for sale. The Pal Blade Company in Plattsburg,
NY bought the equipment and moved it to Holyoke, Massachusetts. There, the Pal
Company began making pocketknives for the first time.
At first, they used up some of the Remington knife parts that had been left over
from their operations. It is not uncommon, therefore, to find Pal pocketknives
with Remington blades on them. Once these parts were gone, the Pal Cutlery Co.
then used their own materials, stamping them "Pal Cutlery Company" or "Pal Blade
The company also became involved with making military knives during World War II.
They made a special pocketknife for the Signal Corps, as well the model TL29
Electricians Knife. They also made bayonets, fighting knives and utility knives.
Pal continued to make knives after the war, but when their machinery starting
wearing out, they decided to close the factory. This was in the early 1950's.